If you are the type of person who buys weed in bulk but does not smoke often, you may end up with stale weed. Unfortunately, smoking dried weed won’t get you as high as smoking fresh bud. Although any type of plant will dry and wither with time, you can slow this process down through proper preservation. In this article, we are going to look at the right weed storage methods that will preserve its freshness. Therefore, if you are wondering ‘how long can you store weed?’ you should read on to find the answer.
When you pick up that old and dried-up cannabis, you will definitely be able tell that something is wrong. If you are desperate for a smoke, you may find that the old stuff is not getting better with age. You will recognize that the flavor is losing its taste and smell along with the potency. Therefore, you may be looking for a way to prevent your weed from getting this way so quickly in the future. Although you cannot stop the aging process of weed, you can easily slow it down by ensuring that your flower is properly cured, placed in a container and then stored in a room with the right level of temperature and humidity.
What happens as cannabis age?
Before we look at how to store weed long term, it is important to understand the process that is involved when weed is ageing. Below, we will look at the process:
- Lost THC. When weed is exposed to heat, oxygen and sunlight, the cannabinoids in the plant begins to breakdown. This is process will also affect THC, the chemical that makes you get high when smoking marijuana. Although this breakdown does not happen instantly, the change is noticeable in a span of a few weeks. And while such a weed will not leave you sober, it will not have the same punch as when you first rolled it
- Conversion to CBN. When THC is exposed to heat and oxygen, it breaks down, before being converted into CBN. And although CBN has some mildly psychoactive properties, it will not get you high on its own.
- Loss of flavor. When weed is kept in a warm spot, it will lose its natural flavor. As a result, the weed will taste harsher when being smoked. This is because weed loses the terpenes that give it flavor when exposed to moisture, heat and light.
What causes Cannabis to age?
As we continue to look at the right marijuana storage methods, it is important to look at the factors that cause Cannabis to age. While we have mentioned these factors above, we are going to look at them in detail, to understand how they causes weed to age.
- Humidity. When storing cannabis, you need to maintain a precise amount of humidity. If you put too much moisture in the storage, you risk having mold grow on your cannabis. On the other hand, if you do not have adequate moisture, cannabinoids in the weed will wither away.
- Temperature. High temperatures can quicken the degradation of cannabinoids and terpenes in weed. Normally, you should ensure that your cannabis storage area does not exceed the temperature of 21 degrees Celsius or 69 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because molds and mildew grow between 77- and 86-degrees Fahrenheit in humid environments.
- Light. When storing weed, you should avoid direct sunlight. This is because UV rays will have a negative effect on THC, terpenes and other cannabinoids in weed. Sunlight can be a major problem especially in the tropics where it will work with humidity to degrade your cannabis.
- Storage container. Although many people are not aware of this, the material used for storing cannabis can have a great impact on its ageing process. Plastic materials are not ideal for storing cannabis as they cause the stash to sweat. Unfortunately, this sweat comes from the plant leaving it dry and hard.
How to store weed long term and still preserve its freshness
Since we have the culprits, it is time to look at the best way to store weed. The good thing is that this process is that it’s very simple and all the things that are needed to keep weed fresh are readily available on the market. To preserve weed, follow these steps:
Cure the weed
The best way to store marijuana begins with the curing process and involves maintaining the best environment for weed to remain fresh. To begin this process, you need to find a cool, dark and dry spot. After that, you need to separate the buds, remove sugar leaves, before placing the fresh stash into mason jars. However, you should leave some small space for the flowers to breathe. The flowers will remain fresh for several weeks and each day, you have some fresh stash to smoke. However, you need to ensure that there is no moisture trapped into the jar as that can attract mold.
To maintain the right level of moisture, you can add specialized moisture fighters into the curing jars. These products will either release or tap moisture based on the prevailing conditions in the jar. Most moisture fighters on the market last for 4 months and an 8g sachet is adequate for your personal stash. However, when purchasing moisture fighters, you may want to go for the ones that are rated between 58 and 62 percent moisture.
‘How long does weed stay good?’ this depends on both the performance and health of the moisture fighter sachets. And the good thing is that you do not need to open the jar to check whether the sachet is in good working condition or not. You can simply look at the dot that changes color depending on their condition.
Store the stash in vacuum bags, ceramic or glass container
Once your cannabis has been cured, it is recommended that you store it either in airtight vacuum bags, ceramic or glass jars to prevent exposure to oxygen. We have already seen the damage that oxygen can have on your stash of weed. And as you learn how to store cannabis, it is wise to note that plastic containers are not recommended for the job as they can interfere with the aging process. Simply stick with vacuum bags or glass and ceramic jars.
Keep the container Dark!
Another important thing to note about pot storage is that the container should be opaque. This is to prevent any light from getting to your stash. If you are using a transparent glass jar, you should consider blackening it out using a tape or some other kind of a wrap. Another tip for long term marijuana storage is to ensure that the room where you are curing marijuana is completely dark.
Keep temperatures cool!
Once you have stored all the flowers in their jars, it is time to ensure that the temperature in the room is well below 21ºC. This is to prevent mold from thriving in the jar.
Keep things clean!
When everything falls in place, you need to keep things clean. Ensure that you perform periodic cleaning, wiping, mopping and vacuuming to remove dust and dirt from the storage rooms. For the best weed storage, you also need to limit your access into the room. This is because, every time you open the door, dirt and dust get into the storage environment.
Can frozen weed remain fresh?
As we conclude our marijuana storage tips, you may be thinking of ‘can I freeze weed to keep it fresher longer?’ well, that is a great idea. It is possible to freeze weed for about 2 years and still be fresh. However, if you are planning on doing that, you should avoid touching the bud as that could wipe off a thin layer of resin that is needed to keep the bud fresh. And when you want to use your weed, you just need to leave it out of the freezer so it can thaw naturally. Freezing is the best way to store pot for a longer period of time.
A new storage trend is emerging where people find that the prime flavor of weed can be preserved for longer periods of time. As a result, many people want to smoke their stash after 6 months and still bring out that fresh flavor. However, it is important to do things right to prevent damage to your beloved stash.
We hope that the above guide will be helpful in both storing and keeping your weed fresh. As a plant, weed can be degraded by many elements. However, we can use the above steps to slow down the aging process. With this, you will find your stash fresh and potent the next time you want to smoke.
At The Lodge dispensaries, you always get fresh and properly preserved weed. If you have any question or suggestion, you can contact us through the comment box below. Your opinions are highly appreciated.